Monday, February 17, 2014

What You Need to Know About: Living in Egypt (Part 2)



In my last post I covered the logistics of my soon-to-be new life in Egypt. This post focuses on adapting to living in Egypt- in particular the cultural differences I will encounter on my newest adventure. I have to begin by saying that I was planning to wait to write this blog post in a couple of days (behind on grading, yet again!), but I was inspired by my Jesus Calling this morning:

"Do not fear change, for I am making you a new creation, with old things passing away and new things continually on the horizon. When you cling to old ways and sameness, you resist My work within you. I want you to embrace all that I am doing in your life, finding your security in Me alone. It is easy to make an idol of routine, finding security within the boundaries you build around your life... Instead, ask Me to open your eyes so you can find all I have prepared for you in the precious day of Life."

Could it be any more perfect?! It never ceases to amaze me how aptly Jesus Calling coincides with what is happening in my life. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, all of the students at Dover speak fluent English. According to the two current teachers I spoke with, this is also the case in Rehab, the gated community where I will be living. The stores are very American in nature, and English is the language of choice in business. In Egypt most people also speak Arabic. On that topic- if anyone has any recommendations for good books to learn Arabic, please send them my way!!

I know that many of my friends and family have expressed concerns about my safety- warranted, yes. But I'm happy to share that between the two teachers, neither one of them has felt unsafe while living and working in Egypt! These gated communities where I will live and teach are exceedingly safe- the principal of Dover actually told me he has to watch the news to hear about anything because we're so isolated! I'm not asking anyone to forego their concerns, but I do want everyone to know that I will do everything in my power to keep myself safe.


A lot of the cultural differences I will encounter are things I've already been introduced to while living in Spain last summer. Though growing up in the Midwest has given me wonderful qualities, I have to be extra vigilant when it comes to interacting with others in a new culture. In South Dakota, its polite, even expected, that you smile at just about every person you pass by. In places like Spain and Egypt, those friendly glances are invitations. For a while in Spain I felt like i was being deliberately rude, but it is part of the culture to avert your eyes in public so as not to give off the wrong vibes. Both of the current teachers at Dover I spoke with voiced their genuine comments that they've never lived in a more accommodating place; they are treated with the utmost kindness and respect both at and away from school. They did mention though that they've never made friends with someone accidentally on the street or in a mall- they've only met people through colleagues at the school. I definitely don't think this is a bad thing! The Human Resources department at Dover provides all international teachers with cultural training to avoid any major faux pas while adjusting to Egypt. I'm sure I'll be the first one in line!!

In regard to clothing, I've got some rumors to dispel! Though for the most part unintentional, it is easy to stereotype people we do not know. I personally am guilty of this as well; when we are uneducated, we make preemptive judgements based not on fact, but rather on perception. I've heard a lot of comments about buying head scarves and long skirts when I tell people I will be moving to Egypt. This is not the case at all! After speaking with the principal of Dover and the two current teachers, I have a much more modern idea of what women wear in Egypt. I'm glad to say I can literally wear all the clothes that I wear now, especially my teacher clothes!! Women all over Egypt, especially in these gated communities, wear very American-style clothing. Colored pants, patterned shirts, dresses and skirts, and so much more!


Though it is of course not recommended to wear scandalous clothing (just as here in the United States), I am not limited by anything when it comes to my wardrobe. The only exception would be if I wanted to visit a mosque or other place of worship, where it would be inappropriate for my shoulders and knees to be uncovered. Again, this is something I'm used to from my time in Spain, France, and Italy. Women who wear head scarves and long skirts in Egypt do so for religious reasons, not because everyone is expected to. It is also important to note in regard to my clothing that I will in fact need to bring my "winter" clothes. That may seem like a silly statement since I'm moving to a desert climate, but I assure you it is true! While it does get hot over the summer, the majority of the school year will be temperate. My apartment, the businesses in Rehab, and all of the school are fully air-conditioned. This is great news because I can virtually transport my current wardrobe with me and not have to do much other shopping. The bad news is that because of the desert climate, there are no heating systems in any buildings. This might not seem like a big deal, but when it gets to 40 degrees at night and there isn't anything to regulate the temperature except blankets, I'll be missing my winter clothes if I don't bring them along!



I've already started to bombard the two teachers with questions about moving to Egypt- thankfully they are exceedingly helpful and honest, which is already making this huge transition much easier! Looking forward to sharing more as time moves along! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment