Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Personal Questions- eeek!

Mrs. Bryant, are you married? Miss Bryant, do you have a boyfriend? Miss Bryant, why do you want to be a teacher? Mrs. Bryant, are you going to take (insert teacher's name here)'s job next year?


Goodness gracious! I spend half of my time trying to get students back on task, and the other half wondering where they even come up with these questions!

A couple of weeks ago (I know I know, I'm behind) my Honors 10 kids badgered me for nearly 10 minutes at the beginning of a class period about my life. I propositioned them with this: 5 minutes for appropriate personal questions, or 5 minutes at the end of class to chat. I for sure thought they'd choose to talk to each other, but lo and behold, they wanted to know more about me! :)


They started out simple, asking about SDSU and my friends and family. Then they started asking those "why" questions. This is where it got fun! There is an opening for an Honors 11 English teacher at my current placement, and the students asked if I'd work here next year. Of course, I've long since accepted a job in Egypt, and had a chance to share this information with them. I received responses varying from shock to excitement to disbelief to curiosity. They wanted to know why I wanted to teach in a place far away, and if I was scared, and if I'd Skype them next year so they could see Egypt too (AWWWWW moment)!!

It melts my heart to know that my students do like and care about me as more than their teacher; I know that they've come to mean more to me than I anticipated. I've been trying to brainstorm some way at the end of my time here to memorialize (for lack of a better word) my students during this pivotal time during my life. One of my best friends suggested I get a bowl of sorts and have all my students sign it, which I love!! Then I'd be able to take it with me to Egypt and keep it on all my future teacher desks no matter where I go! :)

with names instead of stripes!

I'd love to hear other suggestions if you have any- thanks! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment