Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Communication Abroad

Now I know you are all dying to know- how in the world are you going to stay connected to me while I'm living halfway around the world in Egypt?! (More likely only my family and close friends are that concerned, haha). For everyone who is abroad's benefit, I'll share my favorite means of international communication.


First and foremost, I feel that I have to note how blessed (and cursed) we are to live in a society where electronics have the power to do anything and everything. This is particularly convenient for me as I will be taking along my phone, computer, and much more to Egypt. Even better, all my devices will work! I will have internet access both at my apartment and at school (though I won't have much leisure time at school to chat). There are also hundreds of WiFi hotspots throughout Cairo, just like you would find in the U.S. (coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores, etc.)

The best way to contact me will be using an internet-based app called Viber. The app is exclusively for international texting and calling. I used it while I was in Spain, and it worked great! The calling part can be a little iffy based on cell reception, but I've never had a problem with the texting. Just download the app onto any smartphone (available for both Apple and Android devices), enter your phone number, type in the confirmation code sent to you via text, and then let Viber have access to your contacts-this part is important! If I am already in your contacts, Viber will know and add me for you! Super easy, right?!





For those of you with Apple devices, FaceTime will become your new best friend!! FaceTime is basically like Skype but already integrated into your phone and computer contacts. I actually used FaceTime to do my first interview with Dover in Egypt- cool, right?! The only requirement for an Apple device to use FaceTime is internet!



I also have a Skype account for those that cannot connect with me via Viber and FaceTime. Skype also requires internet access but functions the same way as FaceTime. You can also send IM's in Skype which can be handy if you're at a computer.


Please also consider sending me some good old fashioned snail mail! I'd love postcards, letters, or packages throughout the year to remind me of home :) If you'd like my personal mailing address, please send me an email.

I plan to come home over Christmas time for about a week, depending on the flights. I'm looking forward to sharing my adventure with all of you here on my blog, as well as on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment