Saturday, September 13, 2014

First Day/Week of School

Hello there friends! I assure you that my lengthy absence is due to my being busy, not purposeful neglect of my blog! ;)

New expat teachers on Parent Orientation day
Tuesday September 2nd Dover held a parent orientation day. I spent the majority of my morning running around trying to make copies and get myself organized while the elementary teachers had an assembly and open house. In the afternoon the middle and high school teachers had our assembly and open house. I only met about 8 of my students' parents that day, but it was still very informative for me.

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AS A TEACHER
The following day, Wednesday September 3rd was my first day of school as a teacher! I spent most of the day introducing myself to my four classes (7A, 7B, 8A, and 8B). I created a little half sheet Facebook profile for my students to fill out while I displayed my completed "profile" on the SmartBoard. They seemed to like it and asked if I would add them on real Facebook, haha! 


One of the biggest struggles I'm currently facing comes from the lack of materials/resources. I spent the entire first week of school doing random lessons and activities because the school didn't order enough textbooks for my students! I actually couldn't believe it. I spent countless hours speedily planning a curriculum the week before school began only to be told that my kids wouldn't have books for at least a week! Very disappointing to say the least. 

Another of the major challenges I'm facing comes directly from the students themselves. Never have I (tried) to teach such spoiled students! The school has no policy for behavior consequences, and thus the teachers have no power to enforce any rules because there are not actually consequences from the administration. The students talk incessantly, no matter the activity or lesson style I plan, which is very discouraging as a teacher. Though I do have a handful of students in each class that want to learn and actively listen and participate, most do not. The school also believes that students should not be held back, so even failing students move up to the next grade level, even though they are not where they should be academically. The other middle school teachers and even my principal regularly talk about how much they shout and lose their voices because they are always yelling. As this goes against nearly everything I believe to be true and hold as my personal educational philosophy, my days are grueling. If you have any suggestions, I'd be more than willing to listen. I have tried all the things I know that work from my education classes and student teaching experience: proximity, modeling, positive reinforcement, waiting out the noise, and so much more. 

I could use all the positive thoughts and prayers you have time to send my way! Thanks for following along this journey with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment