Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Classroom Life- back again!

Oofta!! After a long two weeks on campus at SDSU, it sure does feel good to be back in the classroom again! Though I'm lacking sleep and drinking coffee like its water, I'm loving every minute of it! On Monday and Tuesday all four of my English classes were commandeered by the counselors to help the students register. Great because I got to practice names and have a little extra prep time, but bad because that's valuable instruction time sucked away...

It was wonderful to have some students ask if I was back for good and when I will be starting to teach! :)


Now that I'm back at the high school for a solid month, it's really starting to sink in how stressed I already am/will be. My body had been a little off and I went to the doctor just to check in, and he said something about cutting down the stressors in my life. What does that even mean?! Mentally, I'm ready to tackle this semester to the best of my ability because I know that it's going to be the most authentic learning experience in my teaching program thus far.

I've finally started nailing down my unit plans for my various classes (Frankenstein, Night, Pobre Ana, and something George Orwell)! It's so tough to plan units for students that you barely know; I'm thinking there will be quite a bit of improvisation on my part, haha! The majority of my nerves center around getting the students to value what I'm doing. Many of my peers have voiced concerns about classroom management and behavior, but that seems secondary to me. If the students understand why I'm doing what I do (and I have to be able to defend my reasons), then I think everything else will fall into place. Now that's NOT saying I'll run a classroom without rules; quite the contrary. But my "rules" will come from high expectations- both myself and the students are equally responsible for their learning.


The reality of a teacher work week is also beginning to take it's toll. By no means do I intend to disparage other professions, but it needs to be said that a teacher's work week does not end when the bell rings- far from it actually! I'm not even teaching all day, every day yet, but I arrive at school by 7:20am each day and have yet to leave before 4:30pm (which is EARLY)! At home I eat dinner and hunker down for at least another two or three hours of planning and correcting and preparing. Jeesh!! I clearly love my future profession, because I'm clearly not in it for the recognition or the paycheck! ;)

Outfit updates! Thankfully my classes at SDSU were "casual" so I didn't have to be in full teacher garb! Back in the classroom though, I'm all about the leggings, tights, and dresses! :)

LEFT: Cardigan- Kohl's
Tshirt- Chi Omega hand me down
Jeggings- American Eagle
Sperry's- DSW.com

MIDDLE: Cardigan- 15dollarstore.com
Black tunic- Victoria's Secret
Black leggings- Victoria's Secret
Black boots- DSW.com
Scarf- hand me down

RIGHT: Flannel- Walmart
Black compression tights- Gap
Black boots- DSW.com
LEFT: Cardigan- JC Penney's
Dress- Kohl's
Black tights- Walmart
Brown boots- DSW.com

RIGHT: Cardigan-15dollarstore.com
Tribal print dress- Target
Black leggings- Victoria's Secret
Black boots- DSW.com
Scarf- Kmart

I'm having trouble believing it's only Wednesday, but one day at a time is my new motto! If I can get through today, then there's hope for another :)


No comments:

Post a Comment