Thursday, January 23, 2014

It's the Little Things

After the trying last two weeks, I've been searching for some inspiration. Coincidentally, one of my close friends shared a fabulous article with me titled What Students Remember About Teachers (read the full article here). It's ironic how when I've been struggling with this disheartened feeling about my future profession something so inspiring would come along :)



This morning before education boot camp classes begun, one of my professors stopped by with her four year old son who I've babysat before. He was hesitant to come inside our class full of people that he didn't know, so I went out and sat in the doorway reading his book with him. It's moments like these that remind me why I want to be an educator. Watching this little boy get excited by each page in his book and stopping to tell me how he's tried to make that picture before warmed my heart! Though I can honestly say that I wouldn't want to teach the littlest kids forever, seeing their excitement and energy about learning encourages me. I look forward to the challenge of teaching high school students- motivating and engaging students close to my age to push themselves to be and do their best.

I've also grown to realize how important it is to have a peer community of other future teachers. My student teaching group is comprised of 29 secondary teachers of all content areas and as these two weeks have plodded along, I've found myself growing closer and sharing more with some of my peers. We talk about our fear and struggles, but also our successes and ideas. And we also keep each other sane! With the inordinate amount of homework I've had looming over my head, it sure feels good to be able to have a group of people to vent with during and after class!

Today I'm especially thankful for my people- they're getting me through the day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment