Friday, January 10, 2014

Operation Student Teaching: Week One Completed!

And I still have my sanity!!!!!! (Though I will admit to some sleep deprivation)

Hard to believe a whole week at the high school has flown by already! It feels like just yesterday I was receiving my congratulatory email for a successful interview and placement :) On Fridays teachers can wear jeans as long as we have on "spirit wear" (aka school colors), which meant I got to rock a cute cardigan and top, Sperry's, and my jeggings!! For those of you who know me well, the fact that I'm excited to wear jeans is quite an accomplishment- leggings/tights and dresses rule my closet!

yes, those last 20 hangers happen to have dresses on them

Thankfully I had ample time today to run around gathering some of the last bits of information to finish up my preliminary SDSU coursework (the students were taking vocabulary tests in English 10). I also had the chance to help teach students a couple of new words in Spanish as they are beginning a new unit. We continued with A Tale of Two Cities in Honors 10, which is proving to be significantly more interesting and engaging that I remember it (from five years ago)! Hard to believe it's been that long since I've read it... 

After school I spent a considerable amount of time chatting with my cooperating teachers about the units I'll be planning and implementing, and they both gave me heaps of materials to look through and use ideas from!! I now have binders and folders full of information about teaching Night, Frankenstein, and a little Spanish book called Pobre Ana. What great resources they've provided me with, all without a second thought! I still have trouble believing how blessed I am to have such wonderful mentors! 

Somewhat unfortunately I'll be commuting to SDSU for on-campus classes for the next two weeks- education "boot camp" as the instructors call it. I'm having hard time getting excited to go back to SDSU when my placement has taught me more in a week than many semesters of coursework has... Nonetheless it's something that has to be done! I'll be in three different classes every day from 8:30am-4:30pm for the next two weeks: Classroom Management and Law, Educational Assessment, and Special Education. I'm looking forward to turning in the mountain of assignments I've been working on over Christmas break/this past week. I'm a little fearful that my instructors will continue to assign more coursework for us as we continue to do a full-time job (for free)! 

Here's a quick recap of a couple of my "teacher" outfits this past week! 

Dress: Target
Cardigan: JC Penney
Leggings (black): Victoria's Secret
Boots (black): DSW.com

Dress: Target
Cardigan: Old Navy
Leggings (brown): Victoria's Secret
Boots (brown): DSW.com

Cardigan: Kohl's
Polka Dot Top: 10dollarmall.com
Jeans: American Eagle
Sperry Topsider boat shoes: DSW.com

I'm not sure I'll have anything too interesting to post while I'm in "education boot camp", but I'll keep you all posted :)

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog...students need teachers with your interest & joy.

    ReplyDelete