Friday, November 6, 2015

A Month?!

It's hard to believe my last post was already a whole month ago! Time sure does fly when you are busy!

Lately, I've been working to really settle into a routine with my time management. My planning is now consistently 1 unit ahead (for printing and sanity purposes). My specific day to day plans are about 2 weeks out, with changes depending on my students.

In Journalism we have now published (and distributed) 2 monthly Echo newspapers! Woohoo! November is a short month publication-wise due to Thanksgiving, so we're only doing a 4 page spread this month instead of the normal 6 pages. Both my students and I are exceedingly thankful for this! :)

In English 9 my students have been diligently working through a long unit on sentence diagramming. For the most part they are really quick learners in this, so we are close to the unit test. To supplement English 9 we've also been reading Divergent as a mostly independent read. Many of my students have either seen the movie or read the book before, so the reading is mostly at their own pace (I give at least 10 minutes everyday in class, usually more). They've done some extension activities about factions, vocabulary, character analysis, etc. That big test will be next week!

In English 11 we finally closed out the short stories unit with a test, and have also finished a quick sentence diagramming unit as well. My juniors have been working on independent reading as well as some mystery genre stories (Sherlock Holmes and a few Poe pieces). Coming up next is The Crucible!

Thanks for following along! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment