Monday, April 28, 2014

SDSU Final Impressions Reflection

I must warn you, this blog post will be a short novel. For SDSU, one of my last assignments is a "Final Impressions Reflection". In short, it is another busywork paper for my professors to ooooh and ahhhhh about how much they've taught me. Little do they know, I get rather creative when I'm cranky. I addressed absolutely every part of the prompt in my paper, which according to the rubric, means they are unable to dock me points. Read on if you want to hear a little inspiration and a whole lot of sass! ;)

            It is with disbelief that I begin this paper.  I can hardly believe that my student teaching experience is at it’s close.  Overall, this has been the most authentic experience I’ve had to date.  Though my time student teaching has challenged me, those challenges have only reaffirmed my decision to be a teacher.  I can honestly say that the most difficult challenge I faced was the discrepancy between what my SDSU coursework “prepared” me for and what I actually encountered in the real world.  My cooperating teachers proved invaluable time and time again as I struggled with students’ lack of motivation and chattering selves.  I would say my most important success is that I know with absolute certainty that this is what I’m meant to do.  In our world today, I think careers are thought of as just that.  I’m wonderfully blessed to say that I have a true and strong calling to be an educator. 
            Let me just jump in by saying that the SDSU coursework I went through pales in comparison to any and all of my student teaching experience.  If it were not required by the rubric, I would not mention these classes because they were inconsequential compared to my fabulous semester at Brandon Valley.  I appreciated the practicality of having some background in Law and Ethics.  This came in handy particularly when dealing with the issue of saying the pledge of allegiance at school.  Though I had to create a lengthy personal management plan for class, I did not find this helpful because it was all in hypotheticals.  While yes, some things I can plan for and structure before my students arrive, most I cannot. In my opinion, that is a mark of a good teacher- someone who takes into consideration her students before making ambiguous decisions.  The most helpful of the four classes was easily the assessment class.  I appreciate the structure of backwards design and using an assessment to plan a unit.  However, it should be mentioned that a more realistic exercise came from adjusting my lesson plans on a day-to-day basis, which is exactly what my cooperating teachers tell me they do all the time.  You cannot be so set in stone that you refuse to deviate from a plan.  Rather, I believe it is more beneficial (for all involved) if there is some spontaneity.  From the special education course I unfortunately learned almost nothing.  The majority of the presentations and information was plagiarized and incomplete which gave me little to go off of when I entered the field.   Thankfully, again, my cooperating teachers walked me through all the essentials. 
            My personal philosophy of education has very much remained the same.  In our world today, a public education is sometimes the only constant in a student’s life.  That means that it is my responsibility to do my absolute best each and every day.  I remember the beginning of the semester being a little nervous to laugh at myself, and now that is usually the most fun I have with my students!! It is mind-boggling to think that only a few short months have changed and grown me in such wonderful ways.  Being a professional educator has many twist and turns.  I’ve learned quite a bit about the politics of being a teacher, something that everyone warns you about.  I’m privileged to work in a school district that treats it’s teachers well, and that has set quite the precedent for anywhere I might teach in the future.  I know that anyone and everyone can be someone of importance, and it’s vital to act professional and respectful at all times. 
            My first goal for professional growth comes from planning and implementing an entire year’s worth of curriculum.  As this is something I will not start doing until this summer, I have little experience with it.  I know how to plan individual units, but planning an entire year is a whole different ball game.  I loved planning both my Night and Frankenstein units, which leads me to believe that once I’ve planned an entire first year, the second year will come much easier.  I plan to use a vast majority of my summer while nannying to plan for my first year of teaching in Egypt.  Resources and mentors are absolutely vital when it comes to starting such a daunting process, and I’m happy to say that I have two fabulous mentors I know I can continue to turn to throughout the years to come.  It is obvious that a year’s worth of curriculum is an essential goal; without it I would have no way of preparing my students for the upcoming years in their education.  I look forward to creating and implementing curriculum in a classroom that is all my own starting this August! 
            Secondly, I want to continue to be a student myself.  I’ve always loved learning, one of the main reasons I decided to become a teacher.  However, I can see how it might be easy to get caught up in monotony and forget that I too need constant education!  A way to combat this is to stay in touch with my fellow teachers to bounce ideas off each other.  This is something I’m already doing with my student teaching peers, as well as my cooperating teachers.  Another easy way to foster my learning is to attend workshops and trainings to keep me up to date.  I’m already looking at doing a couple of workshops this summer because of what my cooperating teachers have shared with me.  I think being a lifelong learner is absolutely essential to being a great teacher.  I never want to forget all that comes with being a student; I’m afraid if I do, I’ll fall out of touch with my own students. 
            What have I learned about myself?  What an interesting way to end this paper.  I feel it merits mention that I frequently become annoyed with the extensive reflective assignments that we have to do for SDSU.  I’ve come to realize the reason I’m so frustrated with these is because I’m already reflecting.  All the time. With my peers, with my cooperating teachers, and most of all with myself.  Throughout my entire student teaching experience, I’ve been blogging my thoughts and ideas and struggles for the world to see.  By doing this I have to actively look at myself and my teaching practices and philosophies to make sure that they line up and complement each other.  I’ve learned that what I’m doing works, and that the more you care about your students, the more they care about what you’re teaching. It’s as simple as that.  As for the teacher I want to be?  Well, doesn’t that list just go on and on…  I want to be the teacher that the students can always count on.  I want to be the teacher that pushes boundaries and encourages challenges.  I want to be the teacher that can admit when she’s wrong and step back.  I want to be the teacher that my students think I am right now: energetic, passionate, and each of their champions every day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment