Thursday, August 7, 2014

What To Pack to Move Abroad

Goodness gracious the time just flies, doesn't it?! I have been woefully behind about posting my "packing for Egypt" progress, so here is a brief overview.

my life in a three page packing list!
I spent considerable time over my vacation in California drafting a packing list for Egypt. After many scribbles and add ons, I finally came up with this fabulous document! It has since been color-coded so I know exactly which items are in which suitcases (duh)! Now for the real feat! As I wrote and typed out my packing list, I tried to mentally figure out how much suitcase space I would be needing. Unfortunately I was mentally prepared to have to check 3 suitcases to fit it all. Here's the exciting part- IT ALL FITS IN 2 CHECKED BAGS! I never imagined that my life could squish down into 100 pounds of stuff. My carry on items will be the same as those I took to California, though they will be packed drastically differently.

2 checked bags, 1 carry on spinner, 1 personal item
As I mentioned in my previous post, Packing Essentials, I feel much more comfortable knowing I have all my important documents in one location, so this binder will be toted along in my personal item for the duration of the trip. My carry on will include all the items that I absolutely could not afford to lose: contacts, jewelry, medications, electronic cords, adapters, etc. My contacts, jewelry, and medication take up an especially large amount of space in my carry on since they are all a year's worth of stuff. Usually my carry on would have clothes in it, but not this time. I'll also have my travel toiletries in there just in case my suitcases arrive after I do (fingers crossed this is not the case)! 





I also spent some quality time wandering around Target for gluten free snacks to take on the plane. As you can tell, I hit the jackpot! 


Now, onto the nitty gritty of the packing process. After whittling down my packing list by taking out duplicates or things I could live without (or at least buy when I arrive), I laid out each of the categories: dresses, skirts, shirts, sweaters, pants, shoes, pajamas, casual tees, casual bottoms, misc, and outerwear. I then divvied up my Eagle Creek compression sacks accordingly. For example, outerwear and sweaters were the first to receive compression sacks because they take up a lot of space! I then tried to halve the weight between my two big suitcases so that each one had both heavy and light items. 



Some items did not go into the compressions sacks (either because I ran out, or they do not shrink much anyway like jeans). I also made a trip to the UPS store with my mom and found two packing tubes that my classroom decor went into (one in each suitcase). These unfortunately take up awkward space and are a little heavier than I would have liked, but once they arrive I don't have to bring them back! 

Since I am sometimes too sentimental for my own good, I decided (after many mental arguments) to bring along the first three books I ever taught. Shoutout to my wonderful "student teaching" students who made it challenging and fun all at the same time :)


For the plane ride I will be wearing a pair of yoga capris, and North Face t-shirt (super comfy), my black Teva sandals, and a black 1/4 zip pullover. Fingers crossed that I will be able to get some quality sleep on the plane! Otherwise my brother graciously put all three The Lord of the Rings movies onto my computer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment