Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sightseeing in Egypt: Comparing Two Travel Companies

While I was living in Egypt, I used two different tour companies to do two different day trips. Today I'm going to compare them!

First up: Unlimited Egypt Travel (website here and TripAdvisor here)

The other international teachers and I booked with Unlimited Egypt Travel because our principals recommended them. Our tour guides (2) picked us up from Madinaty in a van. For those of you from the U.S. its like what you would see daycares driving kids in. They presented each of us with a rose before we started the long drive into central Cairo. The driver made sure we had fresh, cold water bottles in between our major attractions. The car was air-conditioned, thank goodness! Here is our travel itinerary, in pictures.

Garbage City in Cairo (people who are born in this part of the city spend their lives collecting and sorting through the trash of all of Cairo's residents)

The Monastery of St. Simon, otherwise known as the Cave Church is above the hill that is Garbage City. Read more about it here.

All of the carvings are done by a Polish Catholic man who currently resides in Cairo. Every one of his carvings are done by hand out of the pure rock. 

There are regular church services here in the summer.

You really feel you are within the mountain itself

Beautiful ceramic work

This is the "winter" service area.

A bright a sunny day to drive through Cairo

Cemetery of Cairo- people literally live in and on the graves/tombs because of overpopulation.


A nicer, military tomb area.

Cairo Citadel- we only looked at the outside. No tour of the inside.

the dome is made of white alabaster

Roman ruins

the Hanging Church


Another church near the Hanging Church whose name escapes me.

Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus are said to have stopped here during their exile from Israel.

Felfela: a great, authentic restaurant very close to the Egyptian Museum


Egyptian Museum! We were there for over 3 hours and barely made a dent! 

A burned building just outside the Egyptian Museum from the revolution. The government wanted to renovate it, but the people fought to keep it as is as a reminder of the revolution. 

Tahir Square! Where the biggest portion of the revolution took place. P.S. that's also where I went to get an extended tourist visa.

Khan al Khali outdoor market- one of the most famous in Egypt!

wholesale everything


center square where people stop for shisha or to chat after their shopping

our tour group at the end of the day!
Following a water break, Unlimited Egypt Tours took us back to our apartments in Madinaty. Over all I felt the cost was a little high, even split between the 5 of us girls. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up on the docket: Memphis Tours (website here and TripAdvisor here)

I chose to book Memphis Tours based on their #1 rating on TripAdvisor. I took this tour alone on the weekend before I returned back to the U.S. My driver picked me up with a representative from Memphis Tours in Madinaty. The car was a nice 4 door Subaru. The driver kindly supplied me with fresh, cold water bottles throughout the day. The car was air-conditioned and exceptionally clean. Here is my story, in pictures!

my first glimpse of the pyramids!

climbing on the Pyramids of Giza!

it was a hot and sunny day, but there was a bit of a breeze

the backside of the 1st pyramid


my tour guide had tons of wonderful picture points already in mind!


the first (and probably last) time I rode a camel!

all three great pyramids and the 3 little pyramid tombs

You have to "kiss" the sphinx!

in between the 2nd pyramid and the sphinx

a great perfume store! Princess Diana even visited here :)

perfume testing! I ended up choosing "papyrus"

Here I got to watch papyrus be made into paper! Great experience! I bought a couple papyrus items as gifts and for myself.

the old capital of Egypt: Memphis

mini sphinx

lots of farming happens near the Nile- mostly fruits

Sakkara! An old Egyptian city that is mostly in ruins. This is all that is left of the city wall.

the wall looks super scraped up and rough, but it was actually really smooth to the touch!

great pillars!

the first ever step pyramid

my last sightseeing stop: a rug making business! I got to watch artists tie their designs on the loom!

dinner to end the day at Andrea's in Giza

YUM

beautiful restaurant within a bustling city
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I had two very interesting tour days! I would say that you should book with Unlimited Egypt travel if you are more of a go-with-the-flow kind of person and a little more casual. The tour guides for Unlimited Egypt Travel were a lot more "fun" if that's the kind of sightseeing you're looking for. I would recommend booking with Memphis Tours if you are a more formal and reserved person (like I am) and want a tour guide with a serious knowledge base- mine had his Masters in Egyptian History. I definitely felt safe with both tour companies, which is saying a lot. However, if I were booking for a solo trip, like I did with Memphis Tours, make sure to do your research and read the reviews. It made a huge difference for me to know the "personality" of the tour company I was signing up for. 

I also recommend doing some price haggling! Since my pay was partly in U.S. dollars and partly in Egyptian pounds, I wanted to pay in Egyptian pounds to keep my dollars to take home. At first the companies didn't want to do this (U.S. dollars have much more value), but it only took a little work on my part to get what I wanted. Since the revolution, the tourism industry in Egypt has taken a hit, and companies will likely give you a discount just to get your business. It is also important that in addition to whatever your tour costs that you tip everyone involved. Your actual guide should get the "biggest" tip- around 50-100 extra pounds depending on how well you liked it all. The driver should also get a time, anywhere from 30-50 pounds. An example of an "extra" to tip would be the guy that helps you get onto the camel and walks you around for a bit. Give him at least 20 pounds. 

Best of luck exploring Egypt! I had a great time soaking it all in, and I hope you do as well! :)

2 comments:

  1. For those of you from the U.S. its like what you would see daycares driving kids in. Egypt Travel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Explore the prettiest city of Egypt, Aswan with Egypt Online Tour and discover all the best things that this city has to offer. The Aswan city tours package offered by them lets you understand the various aspects of the city really well. For more information regarding the package and more get in touch with them at +201005136828.

    ReplyDelete