Thursday, August 6, 2015

Reflecting...

Humor me and read this post I penned in February of 2014. *Hint: all of it is still true...




A year ago I began a journey that built me up and broke me down in ways I had never imagined possible. I stepped on a plane that took me across and ocean and, seemingly, back in time. I met wonderfully kind people. I met people who took advantage of me. I learned what it felt like to really, truly miss my family and friends. I learned what it felt like to be a minority. I learned what it felt like to be independent. I learned what it felt like to be treated differently because of my gender. I learned what it felt like to put my trust in strangers. I learned what it felt like to intentionally find joy in each day. And maybe most importantly, I learned what it felt like to choose me. 

Our experiences shape who we are, whether we realize it or not. Sometimes we learn things about ourselves we're ashamed of. Sometimes we learn things we're proud of. What is truly important however, is what we do with this information.

Self reflection might possibly be the most vital trait a person can possess. If you'd asked me a year ago, I might have said a positive attitude or a desire to learn. While I do believe those things are important, I know that a person who can truly and honestly look inward and reflect can accomplish anything. Self reflection helps show us why we want what we want and why we say and do what we say and do. That in itself is a powerful force. I thought I knew all about self reflection until I lived in Egypt. Jokes! (God sure does have a sense of humor, let me tell you). It took me three long months of self reflection to realize my worth. To come to terms with what I believe. To know my limits (I'm still working on acknowledging those gracefully...)

Egypt, you changed me. You grew me. For those things I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment